Voice casting tips, any suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Voice casting tips, any suggestions?

Post by J80Kar on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:03 am

There's a bunch of tutorials out there on how to write a story, do VFX, CGI, Forging, camera angles, body acting, etc.

Yet, no one has done one on casting for Machinima roles. In my opinion, sound is probably one of the most overlooked things when it comes to any type of production. Whether it'd be SFX, soundtracks, and especially voice acting.

So far I've only learned about 4 ways on how to cast for roles:
1) Go to voice acting websites or voice acting channels to search for any experienced & good talent. (Doing voice auditions counts in this one)
2) Trade voice actors/actresses with other directors
3) Ask other Machinima Directors to voice act
4) I swear to God this should be your last option if the previous three didn't work, you ( and maybe personal friends you know) voice act the characters themselves.

Which of these would you probably recommend to upcoming directors?
Plus is it better if you do live voice direction with the actors themselves, via Skype, or have them do lines on their own and constantly ask for retakes.
J80Kar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice casting tips, any suggestions?

Post by StressW on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:29 am

I started out VA by going to sites like voice acting alliance (VAA) and voice acting club (VAC). I'd go there with audition roles if you have them or search for someone who is advertising themselves on the web page.

I wouldn't suggest searching youtube for actors because YT is horrible for getting direct contact with someone but I wouldn't fully rule it out either. ^-^
StressW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arbiter 617 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:30 am

Just to clarify: you're asking how to HOST the casting, not how to audition for a part. Because I'd have a lot of advice on the latter. Wink

As far as casting goes, here's what I can express from nearly seven years of experience:

You need to find voice actors who are interested, reliable, and talented.

The difficulty is finding people who are all three, and depending on where you look you will find people with different attributes. For instance if you cast like I normally do by uploading videos to my channel, nearly everyone will be very interested, but possibly not the others. On a voice acting website you will find lots of talented people, but they may not be interested in the project and quit half way through.

What you really just have to do is find good voice actors with a reputation for being reliable, determine if you think they are talented enough for the role you have, and then make SURE that the are interested in your project. If you're only making a one-off video (Project Middleground, Tempus Maximus, etc), actor interest isn't as much of a factor, since you can use them and be done. But if you're doing a large series like RotS or RvB, it is possibly the most overlooked and crucial aspect.

So getting back to your question, what I find works the most, is to just start with smaller projects and filter your actors with each project. Who send you lines immediately? Who usually requires many retakes because they had poor quality or background noise? I always compliment good voice actors and welcome them on future projects. TTU Gunslinger first voices as just a random marine in War: Attack on Arcadia, but I was so impressed by his single line that I gave him a larger role in Hunted, then a better one in Sub: Zero, and suddenly he was the protagonist of Tempus Maximus and moved on to become a lead in RotS. I was so impressed with Edward Jame's commitment and pursuit of improvement from Project Middleground that he also became a lead Spartan.

If you don't have the time or investment to filter actors over a course of a history of making machinima, the second most useful way to get voice actors is to just ask around. Try contacting voice actors specifically. If you find yourself asking a director if he/she has any good voice actors, come prepared with knowing exactly what you want and have something to show as to not waste their time. I often ignore people asking me for voice actors because I can't tell if they've made their own commitment to find ones first, or if they're actually going to make something worthy of my actors' time.

I think that's probably a lot of info, but I'm bored with editing Part 6 extended scenes and I felt like taking a break. Smile

Arbiter 617
Admin

View user profile http://blackplasmastudios.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S1erra107 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Arbiter 617 wrote:... TTU Gunslinger first voices as just a random marine in War: Attack on Arcadia, but I was so impressed by his single line that I gave him a larger role in Hunted, then a better one in Sub: Zero, and suddenly he was the protagonist of Tempus Maximus and moved on to become a lead in RotS....
Just wondering, what did happen to TTU that keeps him from voice acting now?
S1erra107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt Rorschach on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:08 pm

S1erra107 wrote:
Arbiter 617 wrote:... TTU Gunslinger first voices as just a random marine in War: Attack on Arcadia, but I was so impressed by his single line that I gave him a larger role in Hunted, then a better one in Sub: Zero, and suddenly he was the protagonist of Tempus Maximus and moved on to become a lead in RotS....
Just wondering, what did happen to TTU that keeps him from voice acting now?
Lack of interest / desire not to be in dumb Halo videos anymore
Sgt Rorschach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top